Thursday, January 28, 2016

Music For Kids- Yes, its a thing!

When you come to children, all you come to know are the old time rhymes. Its good for them of course but children need soothing music sometimes peppy that will make them what they are today. In fact studies have shown that behaviour of kids depends a lot on how busy their minds are. If they are watching violent cartoons then they will definitely portray the same behaviour outside or at home. Thats why I think channels like Nick Jr, Baby TV and Disney Junior is just the best channels you can give to your child. They will learn a lot and in turn show milder signs of naughtiness. Not that they won't spoil a kid or you shouldn't have a TV time because honestly how long will they sit in front of the idiot box.

My son has turned 3 and half and I see him mimicking the songs he sees on tv. Which is good. It develops his language skills and he can sing a tune or two too. When he was an infant and i was breastfeeding mom, so I would be like dead tired to sing to him but I did get a beautiful musical box where it tuned to music that would put you to sleep. One of the best gifts I got from my sister. And no wonder he loves music so much.

Lullaby are also a great way to introduce your child to music. Anything you can sing it to them, they will love it. You really don't have to be Beyonce or Lata Mangeshkar to sing. Just make up something that has a soothing rhythm and you will have a happier child waking up to you. My favourite is Rock-a-By Baby which works like magic. Also you will have routine which is good even for you. You can cuddle and love him while you sing to him/her. I feel like a good mom when I sing to him on days when I am really a monster to him. I wish music solved everything. But to an extent it does gives me solace.

I also love the "feelings" songs in Nick Jr that asks the child to express what he/she feels and we get all excited to see this on tv. Its a great song to have when you want your child to learn to communicate. Mine took a lot of time to open up but I am happy that he does say what he is feeling.


List of songs for your children: (Hindi and English)


  1. Rock-A-Bye Baby
  2. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
  3. Hush Lil Baby
  4. Mere Ghar aayi ek Nanhi Pari
  5. Chanda hai tu, mera suraj hai tu
  6. Do Naina Ek Kahani
  7. My Bonnie lies over the ocean

There are some of the songs I sing to my baby. What are your favourites? Comment below and I would be happy to add to my list.



This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think about my post. Let's connect!